What are product labels?
Product labels are visual indicators that highlight specific attributes of a product. They are used to communicate important details such as pre-order, new in, sold out or sale. These labels help customers to quickly identify and understand key aspects of a product, making their shopping experience more efficient. By utilizing product labels effectively, Shopify store owners can enhance product visibility, create a sense of urgency, and drive sales.
How to set up product labels
Symmetry has two types of labels: overlay labels that show over the image and labels that show beside the price.
The overlay labels are displayed on both the product card and the product page. The labels beside the price are shown on the product card and in the cart page and drawer.
In order to show product labels, they must first be enabled and configured within the Theme settings.
- Open the Theme Editor, and click on the Theme settings > Product grid.
- Select the Overlay labels that are to be active on the store. For example, to enable the Reduction product label select the Show reduction setting.
- Select the Label location for the overlay label on the collection page.
- Choose the rules to manage the labels. For example the reduction type.
- Select the Labels beside price that are to be active on the store. For example, sold out or sale.
- Open Theme Settings > Colors to choose the colors.
These labels can be shown over the product image on the collection page and on the product page.
- Reduction label: Shows the reduction label on products where the price is less than the Compare-at price in the Shopify admin area. Choose to show the reduction as a Percent or Value.
- Inventory label: Displays on single variant products when the stock level is below the Inventory threshold.
- New in label: There are three ways to display the ‘New in’ label: Collection, Tag, and Date.
Collection method - Create a collection that incorporates the word 'New' and any products in it will display a New in label.
Tag method - Go to the Shopify admin area and add New (case sensitive) as a tag for the products you wish to display the label.
Date method- Any product that has been created (not published date) will show the label as long as it falls within the number of days you have set on the slider.
- Custom label: Add labels with custom text to individual products using Shopify's metafields functionality. This is done by creating a product metafield with the namespace and key called theme.label, and using the Single line text type to create the name of the custom label. Refer to Shopify's metafields documentation for assistance with this.
Labels beside price
These labels can be shown next to the product price on the product card (e.g. on the collection page) and in the cart drawer and cart page.
- Sale label: This text label is displayed beside the price when the Compare-at price setting is used on the product price set up in the Shopify admin.
- Preorder label: This label displays beside the price if that product is using a preorder template. Templates are assigned to products in the Shopify admin under each product or by bulk editing products (search Edit products in bulk in the Shopify Help Centre).
- Sold out label: Displays beside the price on products when inventory is 0 and inventory tracking is enabled on the product set up in the Shopify admin. It will not display on preorder products as current stock levels are irrelevant in this case.
How do I change the overlay label text?
To change the New in text, go to Edit default theme content, search for the text or look in the Products > Labels tab. Update the text to reflect your preferences.