What are product labels?
Product labels are visual indicators (or tags) that highlight specific attributes of a product. They are used to communicate important details such as new Pre-order, New In, Sold out and on Sale. These labels help customers quickly identify and understand key aspects of a product, making their shopping experience more efficient. By utilizing product labels effectively, Shopify store owners can enhance product visibility, create a sense of urgency, and drive sales. Best of all, with the enhanced swatches functionality in our themes, you save money by not needing to invest in apps to access this great functionality!
How to set up product labels
In order to fully set up product labels they must first be enabled and configured within the Theme settings.
- Open the Theme Editor, and click on the Theme settings > PRODUCT LABELS.
- Select the labels that are to be active on the store. For example, to enable the Sale product label select the Show "Sale" label setting.
- Set the color and icon choices for each label, as well as Sale label type if applicable.
Depending on the label type, they will either be assigned to products automatically or based on some assignment of the product within a collection or use of a tag.
- Sale label: Attaches the sale label to products when the Compare-at price setting is used on the product price set up in the Shopify admin.
- Sold out label: Displays on products when inventory is 0 and inventory tracking is enabled on the product set up in the Shopify admin. This label will take dominance in displaying if active. It will not display on preorder products as current stock levels are irrelevant in this case.
- New label: Displays by inclusion in a particular selected collection, and/or by use of a defined product tag. Enterprise also provides the option to use this label on products that have been created within a certain number of days. This is set by enabling this setting and then using the slider in the PRODUCT LABELS settings area.
- Preorder label: This label displays on a product if that product is using a product page template that contains the word 'preorder' in the name of the template. Enterprise comes with a preorder template already configured to assist with this set up. Templates are assigned to products in the Shopify admin under each product or by bulk editing products (search Edit products in bulk in Shopify's help guides).
- Custom label: Enterprise also offers the option to create custom labels by using Shopify's metafields functionality. This is done by creating a product metafield with the namespace and key called theme.label, using the Single line text and selecting One Value type to create the name of the custom label. IMPORTANT(Do not select List of Values or you will get additional characters around your Theme label)For more on setting up Shopify custom data and metafields visit Shopify's help guides.