What is the footer section?
The Footer is essential to an e-commerce store as it provides important information and links to the customers. The footer typically includes information such as contact information, customer service links, legal information, and site navigation links. Having a clear and concise footer helps customers easily find what they need, improves the overall user experience, and can even increase customer trust in the website and brand.
How to create a footer section
- Open the Theme Editor and in the FOOTER GROUP click Footer.
- A maximum of four blocks can be added, and upon installation there are three already selected. Newsletter signup, Menu and Text area.
- Either edit an existing Footer block or select Remove block and add a different block type. Blocks can be re-ordered to achieve your desired layout.
- You'll also find settings for Show payment icons, Show social icons.
- The COUNTRY/REGION SELECTOR and LANGUAGE SELECTOR can also be enabled. For the correct information to be shown here, the Languages and Markets must be set up in the Shopify admin area.
Although the Footer section is restricted to a maximum of four blocks, these blocks can be duplicated to account for slightly different content requirements. For example, two Menu, and two Text area blocks could be added.
Blocks automatically show as collapsible content to optimise the customer experience on mobile.
How to have a simple footer, without columns
How to add payment icons
In the Footer settings, the Show payment icons setting can be selected. These icons are pulled in directly from Shopify based on your payment settings.
These can be changed in the Shopify admin area, by going to Settings > Payments.
Adding a custom payment icon (e.g., AfterPay) is impossible without hiring a developer.
How to add social links
To show social media links/icons, they must be set up first.
- To do this, go to Theme settings, SOCIAL MEDIA and insert the required URLs. A Custom link with an additional icon is also available.
- Then go to the Footer section and tick Show social icons.
How to add sections above the footer
You can add sections above the Footer in the FOOTER GROUP, which appear on every store page but are not part of the Footer itself.
For example, the Mini collections list (titled 'You may also like') section below.
- To do this, open the Theme Editor, and find the FOOTER GROUP.
- Click Add section and choose a section to add.
Can I add my own payment icons?
No. They are taken directly from the Payment settings in the Shopify admin area.
I've ticked the show social media icons in the Image, text and socials block, but none of them are showing?
Before the theme can display, these must be set up in Theme Settings > SOCIAL MEDIA.