What is media grouping?
Media grouping is a way to display the images/media assets associated with a particular product variant on a product page when they are selected by a customer. This smart feature will display only the related group of product variant images and media when your customers select a variant, keeping your product pages organized and improving their focus. Say goodbye to cluttered product pages and hello to improved customer engagement and conversion!
How to set up Media Grouping
- Open the Theme Editor, and select the relevant product template from the dropdown at the top of the page.
- Click on Product pages, and find the Media grouping settings.
- Select Show media associated with the selected variant.
- In the Option name setting, enter the variant option title to be used for product grouping, for example color.
If your store is multi-lingual and the option name varies in these languages, you can enter multiple option names, one for each language, and separate them with a comma. (e.g. Color, Couleur, Farbe)
Currently, as the Shopify admin dashboard does not support assigning multiple images to a single variant, you must make sure that your product images are ordered in the following way for this setting to work as intended.
- Open the product editor in the Shopify Admin.
- Order your images as groups so all variant images are together in sequence. The order of how your variant images should be sequenced in the Shopify Admin should look like this:
- Make certain that the first image of each variant is assigned to each of the options in the variants section of your product setup. In the screenshot above, the very first Red image (number 1) should be associated with all Red variants as shown in the screenshot below. Then the very first White image (number 7) added to all White variants. Once this is done, the variants will look something like this:
Can I use media grouping for more than one option per product?
No, media grouping will apply to only one variant option per product template e.g. Color or Size.