What is the search bar?
The search bar is a powerful tool which provides all of the functionality of a Storefront search. It allows customers to search across all of your store's products, blog posts and pages.
How to set up quick header search
As the customer types their search term in the search bar, the search recommendations can dynamically appear in the header search. This predictive search helps customers refine their search without being redirected to a search results page, and enables them to explore the store quickly by seeing the top results for suggested search terms.
- Open the Theme editor and click on Header section.
- Scroll to the Search settings and select Enable search to show the search in the header.
- Open the Theme editor and click on Theme settings > Search.
- Select Enable quick header search.
- Select Show search suggestions to show suggested search terms. (Note - This will affect both the header search and the main search page.)
- Use the settings Show vendor and Show price to control the information shown in the product cards search results.
- Select Search tags and skus if required.
How to set up the header search recommendations
Symmetry has the ability to show an additional search recommendations menu which is present below the search bar every time a customer clicks on the header search icon. It can provide an additional opportunity to advertise specific products, collections or pages in your store.
- Create a new menu in the Shopify admin area's Online Store > Navigation. Read How to set up a menu for more.
A simple single level menu or a dropdown menu can be used. Dropdowns will be displayed as separate rows.
- To show products in the search recommendations, add a menu containing links to products. The product card layout is managed in the Product grid tab of the Theme settings.
- To show collections in the search recommendations, add a menu containing links to collections. The collection card layout settings in Theme settings > Search > Collection cards are used for these search recommendations.
- Open the Theme editor and click on Header section, scroll to the Search settings and select Enable search.
- In the Recommendations menu select the menu created above and choose a suitable Recommendations title.
Will the search results page work in other store languages?
Yes, the search will work in other languages. Even if you search for the product in English on the Spanish version, it will serve up the correct product.
Will the predictive search work in other store languages?
Predictive search is available for stores in the languages list on Shopify Supported languages documentation. Shopify determines the predictive search, not the theme.
Is it possible to include relevant product keywords to improve their visibility in search results?
Yes, you can use Shopify Search & Discovery app to add Synonyms or Product boosts to improve their visibility in search results. For guidance on this, refer to the Customizing synonyms guide and the Shopify Customizing product boosts guide.
How do I set search scope and control if out of stock products appear in search results?
Set search scope to include or exclude products, pages, blog posts etc and choose how to display results for out of stock products using the Shopify Search & Discovery app scope settings.