What are collection pages?
Collection pages are an essential part of most online stores, and are the ideal way to organize and present collections of products in a gallery-style format. Grouping and showcasing products in this way can aid product discovery, assist with upselling and potentially increase conversion rates.
How to create a collection
There are two main elements that make up a collection page; the first is the collection of products itself, and the second is the collection page template which, when assigned to a collection, controls the layout of the products as well as the page functionality.
Collections of products are created in the Shopify admin area, within Products > Collections > Create collection. Keep in mind that collections are intended to help your customers find products by category, and are most effective when containing products of a certain type, size, color or category.
Refer to Shopify's collections documentation for more.
Two types of collections can be created; an automated collection which uses selection conditions to automatically manage products, or a manual collection which only includes the products that you choose individually.
How to set up the collection page feature header
- Open the Theme editor, select Collections from the dropdown at the top and choose the desired product template (e.g. Default collection).
- Click on the word Collection to edit the collection page settings.
- Activate the Enable feature header checkbox to show the collection image and title on a feature header. To change the default background color go to Theme Settings > Colors > Feature header background.
- If desired, use the Add Collection content setting to assign a featured product and a unique background color per collection. You will need to navigate to the selected collection to see the changes.
How to set up the collection page
- Open the Theme editor and select Collections and choose the desired product template (e.g. Default collection).
- Click Collection to edit the Layout, Filters, and Sorting settings.
Under Layout the number of products per row and the Products per page can be set to best suit the collection(s) using the template.
Filter & sort
One of the most powerful features of a collection page is allowing customers the ability to filter and sort products within a collection. There are a number of settings under Filters and Sorting which can be used to customize the appearance and functionality of these features, allowing your customers to get to the products they want as quickly as possible.
The filters are set up in the Shopify admin area. Read more about adding storefront filtering.
Product labels can be shown over the product images on the collection page for items that are on Sale and Sold out. Go to Theme Settings > Products and select Show sale label and Show sold out label.