What is media grouping?
Media grouping is a way for you only to display the images/media assets associated with a particular product variant.
For example, when a customer clicks on the Lightwash Denim variant below, only the images of the Lightwash denim dungarees are shown. This is aimed at improving the overall customer experience of your store by keeping your product pages organized and improving their focus. Say goodbye to cluttered product pages and hello to improved customer engagement and conversion!
How to set up media grouping
- Open the Theme Editor, and select the relevant product template from the dropdown at the top of the page.
- Click on Product pages and find the Media grouping settings.
- Check Only show media associated with the selected variant.
- In the Option name setting, enter the variant option title to be used for product grouping. For example color.
As the Shopify admin dashboard does not support assigning multiple images to a single variant, you must ensure that your product images are ordered in the following way for this setting to work as intended.
- Open the product editor in the Shopify admin.
- Order the product media (images, video etc) to ensure that all variant images are grouped together. Using the example below where the Option name chosen for grouping is Color then group all the red images together and all the white images together.
- Make certain that the first image of the variant option chosen for grouping (e.g. the first red image) is assigned to each of the variants. In the screenshot above, the very first Red image (number 1) should be associated with all Red variants, then the very first White image (number 7) added to all White variants. Once this is done, your variants will look something like this:
Can I use media grouping for more than one option per product?
No, media grouping will apply to only one variant option per product template e.g. Color or Size.