What is a blog post?
A blog post is any article, news piece, or guide that's published within a blog on your store.
A blog post can contain text, image, videos etc, and there is an optional section for customers to leave comments. Blog posts can be particularly useful in establishing connections with prospective customers and building overall brand credibility, as well as creating keyword rich content to help with search engine optimization.
How to set up blog posts
- Follow the How to create blog posts guide on the Shopify support site to create some blog posts.
- Open the Theme Editor and select Blog posts > Default blog post from the dropdown at the top.
- Click on the Article section on the left hand side. This section represents the entire blog post page and allows various page settings to be customized.
The featured image of the blog post is chosen in the Shopify admin area, in the bottom right hand corner of the blog post page.
In the Article header settings, a Featured image width can be selected with a choice of four options, described below.
- None: This will stop the featured image from showing.
- Content width: The image will stretch to the width of the text.
- Content width - wider: The image will stretch a few pixels wider than the width of the text.
- Page width: This is the widest option - the image will stretch to be the full width of the site, as specified in Theme settings > Design > Maximum page width.
If your blog contains lots of blog posts, it may become cumbersome for customers to find the article they're interested in. In this instance, you may want to consider adding tags to each blog post such that they can be easily filtered on the blog page. Follow the How to set up the tag filter guide to set up tags.
In the Article header settings, the Show tags setting can be used to show these tags on the blog post page.
Next and previous links allow your customers to quickly and easily navigate to the next article to read.
Enterprise comes with four options for navigating through articles by default:
- None: Hides the pagination
- Standard: Shows next/previous links at the bottom of the article.
- Fixed bar: As the customer scrolls the next/previous links are stuck to the bottom of the screen (on desktop and on mobile). A small progress-style bar follows the scroll of the page.
- Fixed bar with reading estimate: As above but with an estimate of how long the article will take to read. This is automatically calculated based on the number of words in the article.
Refer to Shopify's Managing comments on blog posts for steps on how to enable comments.
Can I hide or delay the publishing of a blog post?
Yes, in each individual blog post in the Shopify admin area, you can choose to hide a blog or set the visibility date. Look for the Visibility section in each box and select the relevant checkbox that suits your requirements.
How do I control what comments are written on the blog post?
The way that comments are handled can be controlled for each blog in the Shopify admin area. Comments can be disabled, moderated or automatically published.
How do I add additional share links?
Currently the share links are limited to three. If you require more links, or to change the links shown, then you would need to hire a developer. There are excellent Shopify developers who might be able to help you such as Taskhusky who have worked with our themes for years.