What are product labels?
Product labels are visual indicators (or tags) that highlight specific attributes of a product. They are used to communicate important details such as new Pre-order, New In, Sold out and on Sale. These labels help customers quickly identify and understand key aspects of a product, making their shopping experience more efficient. By utilizing product labels effectively, Shopify store owners can enhance product visibility, create a sense of urgency, and drive sales. Best of all, with the enhanced swatches functionality in our themes, you save money by not needing to invest in apps to access this great functionality!
How to set up product labels
- Open the Theme Editor and click on the Theme settings tab.
- Within the Products area scroll to Product labels.
- Choose which labels to show - sold out, preorder, sale and new in.
- Set the Product label layout which can be Marquee, Traditional, or Marquee - Animate on Hover.
- Set the label background and label text colors in the Color area of Theme settings.
When it comes to displaying product labels, there's only room for one at a time. We have a priority scale in place to determine which label is shown. The levels are as follows:
1. Sold Out - This label will be shown when Shopify manages the inventory, and customers cannot purchase out-of-stock items. For more info: Shopify Help Center — Set up inventory tracking
2. Pre-order - This label will be shown when the product is using the preorder template.
2. Sale - This label will be shown if a product's compare at price is set higher than its actual price. For more info: Shopify Help Center — Setting sale prices for products
4. New In - This label will be shown for new products.
Remember that the label with the highest priority will be shown when multiple labels apply to a product.
New in label
The theme can determine if a product is New In in one of three ways:
- Collection – will show when a product is in a collection with ‘new’ in the handle.
- Tag – add the tag New to the product.
- Date – choose the number of days ago that the product was created.
How do I change the label text?
To change the label text, open the Theme Editor, click ... and select Edit default theme content.