This page covers the basics of theme updates in Shopify. The benefits, the costs, and what it means to “Update your theme.” Every theme, over time, inevitably gets updated. New Shopify platform features are released, designs get tweaked, bugs get fixed, improvements are made.
You want your store to be running the most up-to-date version of the theme, right? Of course, you do! Is it worth the time and effort to get the latest theme up and running? That depends on a number of factors.
How to update our themes.
- Create a backup copy of your existing theme. (Always good practice to have a backup)
- Visit the Shopify Theme Store and log in. For paid themes, it is important to log in to the account that you used to buy the theme. This will prevent you from being asked to buy the theme again.
- Use the top bar search box to search for your theme.
- On the search results page, click your theme.
- Click Add latest theme version or Add theme.
- This adds the latest version of the theme as an unpublished theme so you can now customize it and prepare it before publishing(Your current published theme will not be affected in any way)
- When you publish your new theme, your old theme will be saved in the unpublished section, so if for some reason you need to publish it again, you can and all its settings will be the same as before. (Apps may not, depending on their interaction between themes)
Do themes auto-update in the background?
You can read more on the Shopify Updating themes page.
How do I know what version of the theme I am on?
In the theme editor, you can click the 3 dots in the top left and it will reveal information about the theme.
Will my custom code/app settings carry over?
The settings set up inside apps will remain untouched but any code that was manually added by you, or by apps, will need to be added to the new version of the theme. Some apps may auto-add their code, but others can require manually adding it inside the theme’s code. You can reach out to the app dev to get assistance with this process. We do not offer any support when it comes to adding app code.
Do I have to update my theme?
You can continue to use the theme without ever updating it, but it’s recommended you build the time into your maintenance plans to upgrade at least once every 12-18 months.
I’m on a trial and can’t see the new updates. Do I need to delete and redownload
Shopify allows you to have one trial of a theme installed. If a new update comes out and you have the older trial version installed, to get the new update you will need to delete and redownload the new style. There isn’t a way to transfer over your old changes at this time.
Can I see what has been added to the theme over time?
We have now added changelogs and will continue to update them when new releases are available.
- Showcase Changelog
- Symmetry Changelog
- Boost Changelog
- Canopy Changelog
- Expression Changelog
- Alchemy Changelog
- Masonry Changelog
Can Clean Canvas update the theme for me?
We don’t offer a theme update service but you can hire a Shopify expert to take care of this for you.
Other Shopify developers: https://experts.shopify.com/developers
The Job Board: https://community.shopify.com/c/Shopify-Ecommerce-Jobs/bd-p/shopify-job-board
Specific tasks: https://experts.shopify.com/services/development-and-troubleshooting