Sections enable you to build your storefront using individual elements of content, arranging everything exactly as you wish. You can find out more about Sections here in Shopify’s guide.
To see the full list of different home page section types you can choose from to create your store’s look, simply click ‘Add section’ whilst viewing your store’s home page in the theme editor area:
Admin > Online store > Customise theme > On the left hand side panel, scroll down and click ‘Add section which will show you your available options.
Home page sections can be added, hidden or re-arranged to best fit your store. Choose to show blog posts, products, collections, images, text, videos or slideshows on your homepage in any order you like.
Our Showcase theme is all about imagery!
You can choose from the following (and much more):
- Desktop & mobile specific images: Select the perfect portrait image on mobile.
- Full screen: This will crop the image to fit both the height and width of the screen being viewed. Selecting a suitable image and testing on varying devices is important with this option.
- Adapt to first image: This retains the original image aspect ratio, so whilst it will fill the width on all device sizes, the height will alter to maintain the original entire image content.
- Fixed height: You can specify the height of the slideshow on desktop and mobile.
The above is Showing ‘Fill window’ option, with slide set to ‘Center right’ on different size devices.
Add videos from YouTube or Vimeo with a cover image.
Background video section
Add text over videos from YouTube or Vimeo. A cover image must be a placeholder image must be added to these sections, as the videos will not play on mobile. For more information about how to use background videos please read this article.
To display a nice blog excerpt instead of the full blog, click here to learn about adding Blog Excerpts
Create vibrant, image-focused testimonials. Ensure your images are portrait in orientation, or alternatively, if you don’t include any images, a different (more traditional) layout option will be used.
Some sections can display an MP4 video instead of an image. We always recommend adding an image as well, so this will show while the video loads.
To display a video, enter a URL to an MP4 video which is hosted directly on Shopify.
To upload an MP4 video to your store:
- Go to your Shopify Admin area, and click Settings > Files.
- Upload an MP4 video by clicking the ‘Upload files’ button.
- Once the video has finished upload, you can copy the URL to the video and paste it into the relevant field in the theme settings.
The sections that support inline video are:
- Media with text
- Text columns with media